In preparation for this discussion, please review the information that you have learned in the textbook essay, “The Price of Inbreeding” (pp. 308-309), address the following (~600 words) site your sources:
- What is sickle cell disease?
- Is the sickle cell allele dominant or recessive?
- What was different about the environments where sickle cell disease was prevalent and where it was scarce?
- What correlation did Dr. Tony Allison find between sickle cell disease and malaria?
- As advancements in technology make it easier for humans to avoid contracting malaria, what do you expect will happen to the sickle cell allele?
- Define inbreeding and explain the effects it can have on a population.
- What effect would inbreeding have on the prevalence of the sickle cell allele?
Respond with 5-7 sentences to two of your fellow classmates and post your comments and reactions as appropriate. When posting or responding to a post, keep your answers relevant to the particular discussion string.